Sunday, February 28, 2016

Costa Rica Trip Day 5: Bungee Jump and Night Walk

December 30, 2015

This morning my Dad and I planned separate activities.  He went on a guided hike in a nearby reserve, and the highlight was that there are hanging bridges that connect the paths.  I went on a bungee jump, marketed as the highest bungee in Central America at 143 meters, or about 440 feet.  I had only done previous bungee jumps at 43m and 47m so I was really excited to do a much higher one. 

The day started with a lot of wind with gusts up to 45mph, which is typical for the region this time of year, and some light rain.  A bus came to pick me up after breakfast and we drove about 30 minutes North of town.  We arrived at “Extremo Park” which is the base for a company that does several adventure activities such as a canyon swing and zip lining, and they have a relatively new twist to it where you zip down on your belly like Superman, but today it’s just bungee for me.  I got in a line behind about 50 people to check in and I was thinking it was going to take forever for me to jump after these people.  Then I get to the front, I tell her I’m there for bungee and she literally asks “oh are you a little bit crazy?”  Turns out only about 7 of the 50 were there to do the bungee and the rest were zip lining.  So maybe I am a bit crazy to do this…

So we walk down a path from the office about 2 minutes and we arrive at a sort of cable car hanging out over the canyon.  Two guides come over to us and suit us up with gear and give us a rundown of the plan to not die.  They explain that you have to jump between two cables holding the lift.  So they only really let you do it one way which is a delayed swan dive where you put your arms out after you pass the cables.  Then you are supposed to bounce a few times and before they lower a rope with a cable for you to attach to your waist, which is how they reel you back up to the cable car.  I politely ask the guides if the light rain or gusts of wind will affect the jump and they said “probably not”.

Of our group, I happily volunteer to be the first to go.  I waddle up to the edge of the platform and look down and the trees below seem really far away, so I take a deep breath.  I jump without needing a push and do the delayed swan as instructed, bounce a few times.  After several seconds of hanging upside down, I look all around for the cable about 50 feet away from me—great.

The bungee cord and me are hanging directly below the lift, but the wind has blown the other cable far away from me.  So the guys at the top try to move it around to me, retracting and letting it down again.  In the meantime, I am just hanging there, so I bend upwards from the waist a few times to prevent all of my blood going to my head.  As I am doing this and I notice a beautiful rainbow which has formed about 500m away—and I have a great view. 

I was slightly disappointed that I wasn’t even close to the ground.  I was hanging about halfway between the cable lift and the highest tree, which means the actual jumping distance is about 60m; not 143m.  After about two minutes, I finally am able to grab the rope, and they start reeling me up as I admire the lovely rainbow near me.  I waited on the cable car for the others to go.

I went back to the office and purchased a first person GoPro video of my jump.  A fellow jumper, Robinson, then offered me a ride back into town since he rented his own car.  He was living in Paris and traveling through Central America with friends.  He worked in the oil and gas industry in France and did some research on Costa Rica before traveling here.  He said that the country started a government-directed program with a goal to have 100% renewable energy about 15 years ago and today they sit at 98.3% renewable energy – pretty amazing.  They get energy through many different methods – hydroelectric, wind, solar and geothermal. 

We ate lunch in Santa Elena town center, at a rather bizarre restaurant that was built around a really old and large tree.  The winding staircase circled the thick trunk and at the top are tables which alternate places based on the where the branches reach out over the street below.  I got a sampler meal with a bunch of local goodies such as cheese balls and sugar coated plantains.

While we were resting in our room, we got a call from the front desk that our driver was here to pick us up for a tour.  We had actually booked this for the next day and our voucher said so, but we preferred to do it today so we could watch the OU football game tomorrow and pack without stress.  So we quickly got our stuff together and rushed out the door to seize the opportunity. 

We were placed in a group with 6 other people, and there were about 8 other groups of similar size going out at the same time.  Our guide’s name was Jorge and his English was excellent, so everyone asked many questions.  This is the first tour we did where there were people from all over the world: Canada, France, Germany, Chile and USA. 

As we would pass other groups, the guides would share info on what they had found so that the other group could see the same thing.  We didn’t really expect to find much, but we actually saw several animals: a 3ft boa constrictor high up in a tree, which migrated from the rainforest area; bright green pit viper (deadly poisonous); spider the size of a tennis ball which was carrying a sack of eggs; unassuming bee’s nest right near the office; about 10 of the same brown birds who were sleeping in different trees; a leaf cutter ant colony that was about the same size as my 4Runner; a gecko; a fairy sort of creature in the forest, an Olingo, which is like a monkey; and some tree frogs.  It is unfortunately difficult to take pictures of anything because it is so dark.

The guide stopped at a large tree toward the end to explain that there is no way to accurately determine the age of any of the trees in the forest here because they do not have rings.  Trees normally develop dark rings when they pause from growing in the winter season; however, most of Costa Rica only has dry season and wet season, where the trees continuously grow.


Lastly, we ate dinner again in the commercial center, this time at Sabor Tico which costs about half as much as other restaurants, but we found out why due to the poor service and quality of food.  An unfortunate end to a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment